Keep in tip-top shape with the first of three essential nutrient-packed recipes from nutritionist Kathy Findlay
TINNED SALMON FISHCAKES
Protein and Omega 3 rich fishcakes are also an excellent source of calcium if you use tinned salmon with the bones included. Enjoy these with some green leaves such as steamed bok choy and kale sprinkled with flaked almonds to further boost the calcium content.
About 500 grams cold mashed potatoes
Large tin of salmon
1tbsp unsalted butter 1 pinch of pepper
Grated zest of ½ lemon
2 large eggs
100 grams polenta or simply breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl mix together all the fishcake ingredients.
- Cover a baking sheet with cling film then form palm-sized patties from the fishcake mixture and place these on the baking sheet.
- Stand in the fridge to firm up for about 20 minutes to an hour.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and sprinkle the polenta/breadcrumbs onto a dinner plate. Dip the fishcakes into the beaten egg and then into the polenta/breadcrumbs, coating them well.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan then fry the fishcakes on each side until the crusts are golden.
Kathy Findlay is an open water swimmer, nutritional therapist and advanced sports and exercise nutritional advisor providing personalised nutritional advice and plans to athletes. foodforsport.wix.com/nutrition
See Kathy’s Instagram account for more recipe ideas: food4sport_