Fuel your wild swimming adventures with the last of three recipes from nutritionist Kathy Findlay
These no-bake bars are easy to make to take along for an early pre-swim breakfast, packing a punch of energy and nutrition to see you through your swim.
225g porridge oats
70g pumpkin seeds 60g puffed rice cereal
75g flaked almonds
40g chia seeds
70g dried cranberries
85g chopped dried apricots
100g coconut oil (or butter)
100g light brown soft sugar
150g runny honey or Agave Nectar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 then spread the oats and pumpkin seeds out on a baking sheet, toasting them in the oven for 8-10 minutes until just starting to turn golden and fragrant.
- Line a 26cm/10in square tin with baking parchment, leaving some overhanging on either side.
- Tip the cooled oats and seeds into a large bowl along with the puffed rice cereal, almonds, chia seeds, dried cranberries and apricots and mix everything together.
- Place the coconut oil, sugar and honey in a pan, heat gently until the sugar has dissolved then bring up to the boil and allow to bubble for a minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and salt then pour over the oat mixture, stir until everything is well combined.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, spread it out into an even layer then pack it down very firmly. Place the tin in the fridge to chill for about an hour until completely cold.
- Use the overhanging parchment to lift the slab out of the tin then cut it into twelve slices. Wrap each bar individually in clingfilm and store at room temperature for up to a couple of weeks, or in the fridge for up to a month.
Food For Sport
Nutritional therapist, advanced sports and exercise nutritional advisor Kathy Findlay (Food for Sport) is offering Outdoor Swimmer readers a 10% discount on ANY nutrition plan, in time for the open water season.
All plans address the individual critical needs of swimmers, helping you to get the most from your training and assist you in progression and performance. A variety of plans are available including nutritional training plans, transition to vegan/vegetarian and taper to event plans.