Welcome back to the open water, albeit in a slightly more socially distanced way. This issue we find out what you think of the 'new normal' in outdoor swimming, look at how coaching has changed to accommodate social distancing and I give you some tips on how to make the most of your local open water swimming venue.
In the aftermath of the Black Lives Matters protests we look at the barriers to participation in swimming for black people. We speak to writer Jini Reddy on her search for magic in the landscape in her new book Wanderland. And in what would have been our Olympic issue, Cassie Patten reminisces about her bittersweet open water bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics and Elaine Howley explores the history of open water swimming and the history of Games caught in the turmoil of contemporary events.
In our Travel section we look at what we can expect on our swim trips this year and explore destinations from the Midlands to the Philippines!
Enjoy the magazine,
Jonathan Cowie, Editor
Inside this month's issue:
- Wild swimming in central England: Our favourite UK swimming spots in the Midlands.
- Mind the gap: Paul Fowler tells us about coaching with social distancing measures in place.
- Racism in swimming: Exploring the issues that the swimming industry has for black people.
- Caught in the turmoil of history: A history of other Olympic games that have been disrupted by world events.
- Swimterview: Chatting to author Jini Reddy about her new book, Wanderland: A Search for Magic in the Landscape.
- Tried & tested: Kit reviews of wetsuits, shoes, shorts, training tech, goggles, drink bottles and tow floats to make sure you're ready for your return to the open water.
This month, our training and kit review sections are well and truly back in the water! Follow our five steps to open water happiness, our editor's top tips for taking your swim training outdoors and a run-through of prescription goggles.
Plus! Much more inspiring features, swim history, outdoor swimming news, training articles, travel ideas, the fifth instalment of our Swimrunner section, and much more!
BUY SINGLE ISSUE
You can get all of this in the June issue for just £5.99 to download and read across multiple digital devices.
SPECIAL OFFER - 3 ISSUES FOR £5
For a limited time, get your first 3 issues for just £5 when you subscribe to the digital edition of Outdoor Swimmer magazine!