To complete this as written, you should be capable of swimming repeatedly 100m off 90secs. Times and distances should be altered to match your current ability and fitness levels.
You will need Pullbuoy, Paddles and Flippers.
Pyramid – 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 150m, 100m, 50m.
Take 15 secs rest between each distance and start to pick the speed up on the decent.
All with a pullbuoy. 30 secs rest between each distance
- 400m, normal f/c pulling
- 300m catch up – Make sure your recovery hand enters alongside the arm waiting to go into the propulsive phase. On entry, extend/reach further before commencing the propulsive phase on the other arm.
- 200m single arm, (will be difficult due to still having the pullbuoy), so real concentration is required to keep the propulsive phase/arm travelling in the correct path. The resting arm should be straight with your cheek touching your shoulder when face is down.
- 100 normal f/c
MORE DRILLS – FLIPPER WORK – BUTTERLY
10 x 50m as follows, 15 secs rest between each
- First 50m = Do 1 single arm butterfly (R), and 1 single arm butterly (L), then 1 double arm (so normal Fly)
- Second 50m = Do 2 Single arm (R), 2 Single arm (L), 2 Double arms (Fly)
Keep pattern going until you are swimming 50m doing 5 of each, then start at 1 again
HARD ENDURANCE – 3K SPLIT
15 x 200m, alternating straight 200m, then a split 200m as follows – all off 3.20secs
- Odds = Straight 200
- Evens = 50m off 50, 100m off 1.40, 50m off 50
Keep the pattern going for 15 x 200m’s
- Timed 400m paddles/flippers. Swim this as fast as you can and really work those flippers.
- 10 x 100 sprints, swim and rest off 1.45 (all sub 90)
- 400m easy