6.9km Session – about 2.5 hours
To complete this as written, you should be capable of swimming repeatedly 100m off 90secs. Times and distances should be altered to match your current ability and fitness levels.
You will need the following swim aids – Paddles, Pullbuoy, Flippers
- 900metres, relax, stretch, variety of strokes.
GET THE HEART PUMPING BEFORE THE REAL WORK STARTS
Time yourself on each one & be consistent
- 12 x 50m, swim and rest off 1min, give it a blast
- 10 x 200 with the first 100 of each 200m being a drill and the 2nd 100 sprint F/S. SWIM & REST OFF 3.45
Use these drills:
- Shark fins, fast switch, (the recovery arm pauses and creates a high elbow (shark fin), then you fast switch to the other side).
- Punching (create a fist with your hand and concentrate on pulling with your forearm)
- Paddles & Pulling
- Finger drag
Flippers on to give a hard set
- 5 x split 400m – blast them!
Each 400 will be swim and rest off 7.30 (Easy) – NO!
Split it at 100, 200, 300 with just 10secs rest. Take your time at the end and minus the 30secs rest you had in between to give you your total 400 time. Be consistent with each time.
USE THOSE FLIPPERS HARD so as to really deplete oxygen levels.
- Bit of stretching now to relax and give those legs a rest. 100m breaststroke arms only, followed by 100m F/S pull only
SPRINTS AND STAMINA BUILDING
- 50m, 100m, 50m, 100m, 50m, 100m, 50m
The 50’s are off 50s, the 100’s are off 1.35 Ouch! (Brain work for mathematicians to keep track of the clock!).
- 6x 50metres swim and rest off 2mins – so fast
Head up water polo style stroke for first length, then blast the 2nd length.
- 400m cool down, relax, stretch