Make the most of your outdoor swimming with the third of four sessions from Fiona Ford
400m – 800m FC
Alternate through a pattern of 20 strokes easy, 10 strokes fast
MAIN SET (ALL FC)
4 x 400m to 500m as follows:
1) Alternate 20 strokes fast with 20 strokes easy pace.
2) Evenly paced swim at threshold. Draft a slightly quicker swimmer if possible for some or all of this distance.
3) Alternate 10 strokes easy pace with 20 strokes fast.
4) As fast as possible.
Compare times swum. Note which effort (1 to 4) yields most effective swim pace.
400m – 800m easy effort to stretch out, alternate FC and BS
2400m – 3600m
FC – Front crawl
BS – Back stroke
Week 2 sighting practice:
Practise integrating a quick look forwards immediately before turning to breathe in and also occasionally include 3 to 5 strokes of head-up swimming (with your neck and top of chest out of the water too if possible by using a strong leg kick. This is sometimes referred to as water-polo sighting technique).
Week 4 buoy turn practice:
- Backstroke flip turn: with your leading arm closest to buoy, pivot onto back for one BS pull, then turn onto your front on next stroke to make 90 degree turn.
- Single arm turn: with your leading arm closest to the buoy, do 2 to 3 single arm drill pulls with the outside arm to change direction with a quick sight forward to orientate.
Swim Smooth Squad training and Video Analysis sessions
Triathlon Europe provides weekly Swim Smooth squad training in South West London. The squad enjoy training all year round in fabulous indoor and outdoor 33m pools. Fiona offers swim training plans, 1-2-1 video analysis sessions and stroke correction sessions on weekday mornings and weekend Swim Smooth workshops.
Find out more: triathloneurope.com