In the run up to the Great North Swim, the UK’s biggest open water swim event, sponsors Arla share their quick but energising recipes for swimmers.
Black Bean and Avocado Smash Quesadillas
These deliciously cheesy quesadillas make a quick mid-week meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large wholemeal tortilla
- 1 avocado (halved, de-stoned, peeled and smashed)
- 1 lime
- 200g tinned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 red onion (finely sliced)
- 6 cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 3 tbsp tinned sweetcorn (drained)
- 2 tbsp chopped ground coriander
- 60g Arla LactoFREE Mature cheddar cheese
Step 1: Place a frying pan large enough to fit a tortilla over a low heat and add ½ tbsp olive oil.
Step 2: Meanwhile, to build the quesadilla, place a wholemeal tortilla on to a clean surface. Top with the smashed avocado and the juice of 1 lime, followed by the black beans, red onion, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn and coriander. Sprinkle with the Arla LactoFREE Mature Cheddar Cheese and place the second wholemeal tortilla on top.
Step 3: Carefully place the quesadilla into the frying pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, pushing down with a spatula. Gently flip the quesadilla, adding the remaining ½ tbsp olive oil to the pan and repeat this process until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are golden.
Step 4: Once cooked, remove the quesadilla from the pan and place onto a chopping board. Slice into quarters and serve.
Strawberry ARLA Skyr Pancakes
In the mood for a flavourful breakfast? Try these sweet and fluffy Strawberry Skyr pancakes topped with fresh strawberries and roasted almonds for extra crunch.
- 200g flour
- 75g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml whole milk
- 250g Arla Skyr Strawberry
- 5 eggs (medium-sized)
- 25g butter
- 200g strawberries
- 400g Arla Skyr Strawberry
Step 1: Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder. Whisk milk and Strawberry Skyr and then add it to the flour mix. Whisk until the mix is well blended.
Step 2: Then add eggs one at a time and keep whisking until you have a smooth batter.
Step 3: Add a little butter to a pan and pour the batter into the pan. You can cook 3 pancakes at a time (depending on the size of your pan). Cook until golden and done at medium heat – approx. 4 minutes. This recipe makes approx. 25 pancakes.
- Roast the almonds in a dry, hot pan or the oven at 200C for about 5-6 minutes. Let them cool down and chop them roughly.
- Cut the strawberries into bite-size pieces.
- Make a small stack of pancakes, add a dollop of Strawberry Skyr and sprinkle with chopped strawberries and almonds.
The Arla Great North Swim is returning this year on the weekend of the 9-11 June in Windermere. Dive into nature and set yourself an open water challenge in the great outdoors, it’s not too late to join us!
This is a sponsored feature.