Here’s a nice session set by my good friend and ‘X’ GB triathlete, Mr Andy Jopson
To complete this as written, you should be capable of swimming repeatedly 100m off 90secs. Times and distances should be altered to match your current ability and fitness levels.
You will need Pullbuoy, Paddles and Flippers.
- 400m front crawl
- 300m back stroke
- 200m breast stroke
- 200m kick with a board no fins
- 4 x 100m front crawl 10 seconds rest between each 100.
- 400 catch up. Ensure each stroke is not wasted (use fins to aid propulsion if you need them)
- 400 continuous as alternate lengths left arm, right arm. Resting arm is out stretched above head to aid balance. Ensure hips are close to the water surface (use you head as additional ballast to bring your hips up).
- 4 x 200m Ind. Medleys, 20 seconds rest between each 200m. If butterfly is not your stroke use free style
- 5 x 400m
- Odd sets: 4 x 100m 10 seconds between each 100m
- Even sets: 400m straight, 30 seconds rest after the 400m
Sprints and stamina building
- 4 x 50m – 10 seconds rest (with fins) between each
Quality push from the wall – legs together (using the abductor muscles). Stay under water for as long as possible (using butterfly kick) then continue the rest of the length free style but bilateral breathing every 3rd stroke.
- 4 x 50m bilateral breathing every 5th stroke. 10 seconds rest between each.
- 10 x 50m front crawl hard off 75 seconds
- 200 back stroke
- 200 front crawl
- 100 kick