New to meditation? This candlelight meditation by Liz Lowe is a lovely practice to bring calm and clarity, and is ideal for beginners.
This candlelight meditation is a lovely practice to bring calm and clarity. For those new to meditation, sitting with eyes open rather than closed, and with an object to focus on, can feel easier.
- Find a quiet space where you can sit comfortably with a straight back.
- Light a candle and position it so you can rest your eyes on it without straining your neck.
- Set a timer for between two to five minutes.
- Take a few long, slow breaths, imagining the breath bringing softness to any areas of tension.
- With a soft gaze, observe the ever-changing movement of the candle flame.
- Notice any thoughts arising but try not to get caught up in them – each time your mind wanders, just return your focus to the candlelight.
- When the timer goes off, reconnect with your breath, maybe take a stretch, and move slowly into the rest of your day.