Get ready to race – recipe 1
Ensure you are in tip-top form on race day with the first of three recipes from nutritionist Kathy Findlay
Race day nutrition begins the night before with a carb loaded dinner – not too heavy, spicy or rich, but a tasty balance of appropriate nutrients to prepare your muscles for race day.
Pasta is always a safe option as most people have had it before, it’s quick, and even the non-culinary geniuses amongst us can rustle it up with ease.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 500g passata or 2 tins tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups red lentils rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion, celery, and carrot until soft. It will take about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook, stirring it in, for a few minutes.
- Add tomato puree, basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in lentils and water and simmer rapidly, stirring regularly, until the lentils have softened and the sauce has thickened, for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve stirred through 400g of boiled spaghetti.
Kathy Findlay is an open water swimmer, nutritional therapist and advanced sports and exercise nutritional advisor providing personalised nutritional advice and plans to athletes. foodforsport.wix.com/nutrition
See Kathy’s Instagram account for more recipe ideas: food4sport_