We decided it was that time of year to draw up a list of suggestions for New Year’s resolutions for swimmers. We then looked back at the list we wrote for 2013, and found we’d come up with nearly the same thing (see last year’s list) so we had to start again. If anyone adopted one of our 2013 suggestions, please let us know. Here are our new suggestions for 2014.
- Attempt an open water swim of at least double the distance of one that you’ve done before.
- Do a night swim.
- Add a regular routine of shoulder care exercises to your weekly routine.
- Try a cold water non-wetsuit swim – or even just a dip.
- Plan a swim that requires staying overnight somewhere and use it to explore a new area.
- Swim in five new places just for the fun of it.
- Do a continuous swim of 1km for the number of every month (so 1km in January, 5km in May and 12km in December)
- Create yourself a swimming challenge that will take you all year to complete (see Ella Foote’s 30 swim project in our Feb/Mar issue for an example).
- Bake a cake for your fellow swimmers
Whatever you do, we wish you a successful New Year for 2014 and we hope you manage to fit in lots of fun and challenging swimming adventures. We will keep producing stories and features to inspire you so make sure you keep your subscription up to date, and if you haven’t got one already why not add “Reading H2Open” to your resolutions.